‘How to antique furniture’ is a question we get often and it’s a great way to enhance a furniture piece’s details and add that missing “something” to a piece. You know when you paint a piece and then feel like it needs more? Antiquing is that more. It adds texture, depth, charm and character!
I love a piece that is antiqued and I love it more that it is inexpensive and simple to do. With MudPaint’s wax, any piece can be antiqued with a little elbow grease. Follow these steps to antique furniture:
- Using a brush apply one coat of your favorite MudPaint color.
- Once dry, apply a second coat if needed. Most pieces will only need one coat with MudPaint’s even coverage.
- If a second coat was needed, allow the paint to dry.
- Next apply a coat of clear wax with a wax brush.
- Wipe off the excess wax with a lint free cloth.
- While the clear wax is still wet, apply Dark or Black wax with a wax brush.
- Using a clean lint free cloth, wipe back the Dark or Black wax depending on the look you are going for.
- If needed, you can use clear wax to take off more of the Dark or Black wax.
- Allow to dry.