Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
Black and gold is a color combination that is timeless, luxurious, and striking. Use this powerful color pairing and add glamour and a dramatic contrast to a piece. MudPaint’s Just Black has exceptional coverage and after you add a touch of gold with, say, gold handles and hardware to you piece, you’ll have a regal combination. Transform your outdated piece easily into a remarkable piece that will stand out in any room with MudPaint’s Just Black and a gold color of your choosing.
(Several MudPaint customers have also accented their piece with our Gold Metallic Wax — a great option, as well! Check out this post for more on applying wax – and here on how to clean your wax brush!)
Follow these steps to get a Hollywood style!
- Remove hardware.
- Clean the surface well.
- A light sanding is recommended. If you are painting over peeling paint, scrape and sand to smooth.
- If there are holes, fill them with wood filler and then sand smooth.
- A primer is not needed on most surfaces. However, if a smooth or slick surface, painting a lighter color, painting over a stain or wood with red undertones, or if painting a wood that is known to bleed, a primer is recommended. MudPaint is compatible with water based primers, cover stain and KILZ.
- Be sure surface is free of dust.
- Clean with wet rag and allow to dry completely.
- Decide where you want to add the gold accent color to. For a clean line, use painter’s tape.
- Before using paints, shake cans vigorously and stir thoroughly.
- Apply MudPaint’s Just Black with a brush, working in the direction of the grain of the wood.
- Next, apply the gold paint – or wax! – with a brush to the area you want to accent.
- Most surfaces need only a single coat of MudPaint.
- If applying a second coat, allow to dry, and then lightly sand between coats.
- Allow to dry completely.
- If desired, finish with a clear coat for high traffic areas. For low traffic areas, finish with wax.
- Paint the hardware in the gold paint.
- Allow to dry and then reinstall hardware.
And you are all finished! Easy, quick and a completely redone furniture piece with MudPaint!