Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
This chair makeover by The Painted Pear in Florida is absolutely stunning! Look at what they did with a little MudPaint. Can you imagine how many people have sat in this chair and how many more will over the years? The stories they will tell sitting in this chair, the memories that will be created…it’s just amazing the long life of a chair repainted or any piece of furniture if we continue to refinish them.
Planning a chair makeover is so rewarding because of the memories. As a kid, sitting with my gram and pap and listening to their stories. Then as they aged, sitting beside their bed and remembering painting and clock making with them. One of the reasons I love refinishing furniture like a painted chair, is the history behind a piece and being able to update it to continue it’s story. Giving new life to a painted chair and keeping it in homes instead of in a landfill is rewarding.
Looking at this chair and how MudPaint’s Just Black transformed it is unbelievable. And, like updating a bench, a chair planter, or a combo chair/bench it’s incredibly practical for everyday use! MudPaint is eco-friendly, LEED-compliant and it’s unique, clay-based formula with natural earthen materials requires little prep work and no waxing for a smooth coat. Our Clay Furniture paint in Just Black gave this chair new life…for years to come.
Do you have a chair that needs updated? If so, use Just Black to get this look.
Follow these steps:
- First, it’s important to clean the surface well, particularly if it’s an older chair with quite a bit of grit and grime on it!
- A light sanding with our Rad Pad Sanding Pad is recommended. If you are painting over peeling paint, scrape AND sand to smooth.
- If there are holes, fill them with wood filler and then sand smooth.
- A primer is not needed on most surfaces. However, if a smooth or slick surface, painting a lighter color, painting over a stain or wood with red undertones, or if painting a wood that is known to bleed, a primer is recommended. MudPaint Clay Furniture Paint is compatible with water based primers, cover stain and KILZ.
- Be sure surface is free of dust.
- Clean with wet rag and allow to dry completely.
- Before using MudPaint, shake can vigorously and stir thoroughly.
- Apply Just Black with a MudPaint brush, working in the direction of the grain of the wood.
- For a more distressed, aged and weathered look, paint any which way.
- Most surfaces need only a single coat as our coverage and adhesion is quite remarkable!
- If applying a second coat, allow to dry, and then lightly sand between coats.
- Allow to dry completely before sanding if distressing.
- Finally, as chairs are used frequently, we recommend a good application or two of our Matte Finish Clear Coat. Or, if looking for a higher sheen with a touch more gloss, a coat of our Finishing Wax applied with our Wax Brush is a great option. (And click here for tips on how to clean your wax brush after use — they can last for years if cleaned well!)
Thats it! Sit back, relax and enjoy the fruits of your labor – knowing it will last far in to the future!