A painted bench in an entry area is a lovely addition to any home. For the kids, guests, pets, a bench is a useable decorative element to your space. Painting them doesn’t take long with MudPaint and it is easy to do. MudPaint is eco-friendly, LEED-compliant and it’s unique, clay-based formula with natural earthen materials requires little prep work and no waxing for a smooth coat.
Benches are tough, durable and get loads of use around our house, thats for sure!
Follow these steps:
- Clean the surface well.
- A light sanding is recommended. If you are painting over peeling paint, scrape and sand to smooth.
- If there are holes, fill them with wood filler and then sand smooth.
- A primer is not needed on most surfaces. However, if a smooth or slick surface, painting a lighter color, painting over a stain or wood with red undertones, or if painting a wood that is known to bleed, a primer is recommended. MudPaint is clay based and so compatible with water based primers, cover stain and KILZ.
- Be sure the surface is free of dust.
- Clean with a wet rag and allow to dry completely.
- Before using paint, shake can vigorously and stir thoroughly.
- Apply paint with a brush, working in the direction of the grain of the wood.
- For a more distressed look, paint any which way.
- Most surfaces need only a single coat.
- If applying a second coat, allow to dry, and then lightly sand between coats.
- Allow to dry completely before sanding if distressing.
- To add a stencil, allow the paint to dry and then stencil with a lighter MudPaint color!