Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
This dresser makeover is beautiful! Look at how – along with stunning new hardware dresser handles! – Smoke truly accentuates the details on the front of each dresser panel. Smoke is a light warm gray color that looks amazing on pieces with details – it helps pull out the shadows and contours of each painted dresser.
Do you have a dresser that is outdated? Thinking about throwing it away or moving it to the garage. Why not repurpose it? Dressers – not unlike other dresser makeover projects and desks – could always use a bit of refurbishing! A newly painted dresser can accentuate a room and bring a stunning makeover to life!
- Clean the surface well – a good thorough cleaning is always the first step to a successful project!
- A light sanding with our Rad Pad Sanding Pad is recommended. If you are painting over peeling paint, scrape AND sand to smooth.
- If there are holes, fill them with wood filler and then sand smooth.
- A primer is not needed on most surfaces. However, if a smooth or slick surface, painting a lighter color, painting over a stain or wood with red undertones, or if painting a wood that is known to bleed, a primer is recommended. MudPaint is compatible with water based primers, cover stain and KILZ.
- Be sure surface is free of dust.
- Clean with wet rag and allow to dry completely.
- Before using MudPaint, shake can vigorously and stir thoroughly.
- Apply Smoke with a MudPaint brush, working in the direction of the grain of the wood.
- For a more distressed, aged and weathered look, paint any which way.
- Most surfaces need only a single coat as our coverage and adhesion is quite remarkable!
- If applying a second coat, allow to dry, and then lightly sand between coats. This is a great way to remove any brush marks that may appear.
- Allow to dry completely before sanding if distressing.
- Finally, as chairs are used frequently, we recommend a good application or two of our Matte Finish Clear Coat. Or, if looking for a higher sheen with a touch more gloss, a coat of our Finishing Wax applied with our Wax Brush is a great option. (And click here for tips on how to clean your wax brush after use — they can last for years if cleaned well!)