How to Paint without Brush Marks
Most people set out to avoid brush marks when painting. However, they happen. Follow these painting tips to eliminate brush marks/strokes:
- Prep the surface by sanding.
- Use a longer bristle brush.
- If paint is thick, mix paint in another container with a little water to thin it out.
- Dip the brush into the paint to cover only 1/3 of the bristles. Ensure there is enough paint always on the brush.
- Don’t press to hard on the brush.
- Apply a thin coat.
- Paint in shorter strokes. Don’t go back over paint.
- Paint in the direction of the grain.
- Sand between coats.
- When dry, finish a piece by sanding to smooth out marks.